Check out this great article by Lisa Hix on the Collectors Weekly web site, Our Bodies, Our Stilettos. Did you know that “initially, high-heeled shoes helped keep women, who were seen as irrational and frivolous, powerless”? Thank you for this wonderful historical context. Personally, I can’t deal with high heels, let alone stilettos, because
1. I like to walk fast — as fast as men, and if they’re really slow bastards, faster.
2. Sometimes I need to run for a bus, and I’d really rather not be hobbled, stupid-looking, and injured doing that.
3. I’m totally hot without them.
4. I dislike “Sex and the City” and do not want to pay it homage.
5. I find that high heels are modern-day torture devices for women.
I’m not gonna tell anyone else what to wear or do, but short girls, I really don’t believe you when you say you have to wear them because you’re short.