1. Pledge to only read books written by women this year. Check out this list of books by transgender authors.
2. Blog. See something sexist? Have something you want to get off your chest? Write about it! I started a feminist Tumblr that focuses on sharing media and stories that support feminism, empower women, and speak to social justice issues.
3. Watch movies and shows with complex female characters, women of color, trans folks, and people who are differently abled. Support the types of media you want to see more of in the world. My current fave? Tina Fey’s new Netflix series, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
4. Commit to ending sexual violence by signing the It’s On Us pledge. And follow through with action in your everyday life.
5. Subscribe to feminist magazines. Bitch and Bust are my personal favorites.
6. Support women and girls who compose their own ’zines, blogs, YouTube channels, and any other kind of media.
7. Vote with your wallet. Don’t purchase products that are advertised in a harmful way to women and girls.
8. Practice body positivity. Learn to love and accept yourself and your body — this attitude is contagious. Spread the good vibes wherever you can!
9. Believe women and girls. Trust us.
Stacey Speer is a bookworm who loves nature and making people happy. She enjoys utilizing the tools she gained from her Women and Gender Studies degree to critique media and the world around her from a feminist perspective.
Shout out to Broad City. I bought season 2 on Amazon and it was hilarious. Like Unbreakable it takes a couple episodes to hit its stride so stick with it.