About-Face is searching for workshop leaders. Could that be you?
About-Face is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco that equips women and girls with tools to understand and resist harmful media messages that affect their self-esteem and body image.
You can learn more about us on our about page.
About-Face provides engaging, informational, and social-justice-centered media-literacy and advocacy education to teens and parents in the San Francisco Bay Area and nationally.
Our School and Community Program teaches young people the media-literacy skills they need to truly understand the media they’re seeing to reduce the effects of harmful media messages. We tailor our workshops to youth from all backgrounds and income levels. About-Face workshops are sassy, edgy, fun, creative, and interactive. We go to schools and other organizations throughout the Bay Area to teach young, self-identified women and their peers how to dissect all types of media including magazine ads, music videos, TV commercials, Internet content, and movie clips.
Workshops are between 60 and 90 minutes and can be for girls only or young women and men in the same room.
In the past 8 years, we have reached more than 5,000 young women and men in the Bay Area. We are looking to reach even more, and to make sure we have a diverse group of workshop leaders from all backgrounds. That’s where you come in!
If you’re a Workshop Leader, you:
- are passionate about the work we do and looking for a way to make a powerful difference in young people’s lives.
- are outgoing, energetic, youthful, and sensitive to issues around body image, sexuality, race and ethnicity, class, and gender.
- love talking with groups, thrive being in front of an audience, and knowing your subject well helps you.
- love talking about the things that are most important to you, but you also listen to other people’s points of view and are able to engage in a productive discussion.
- have a flexible schedule that would allow you to visit schools during weekdays once per month.
- are able to relate to high school students, you’re up on the latest mainstream media, and maybe you get a hip-hop hook stuck in your head every once in a while.
- live, go to school, or work in San Francisco, Peninsula/South Bay, or the East Bay.
If this describes you, you may just be a great About-Face workshop leader!
This is a volunteer commitment, not a full-time job. However, workshop leaders receive a stipend for each workshop.
Our programs function best when we have workshop leaders of diverse backgrounds and ethnicities. People of color and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
No formal cover letter is needed, but do tell us why you think you can contribute to About-Face’s work and mission.
We will notify you of your status and potentially schedule a video conference or in-person interview.