The Development Manager role is a part-time, paid position based in San Francisco, CA. Applications due by January 20, 2020.
About-Face frees girls* from the confines of our toxic culture so they can fulfill their potential. At the organization’s roots are activism, awareness-raising, body positivity, media and cultural literacy, a belief in the power of youth, social justice principles, and gender equity. We work with self-identified girls ages 13-18 in their schools and elsewhere to teach them critical thinking and other skills centered on understanding and critique of our mainstream culture, including media and social media. We also reach them via social media. We then transform that knowledge into activism skills that they can use throughout their lives. About-Face is in the San Francisco Bay Area and is working toward expanding its online and on-the-ground presence.
* “Girls” is inclusive of trans, cis, and self-identified girls as well as non-binary youth.
About the role
The Development Manager role is primarily a fundraising role with related marketing/outreach components, the purpose of which is to raise awareness of and engagement with About-Face’s mission. As we develop our team, the Development Manager role will be crucial to About-Face’s success in authentically reaching our target audiences and creating long-term positive impact on teen girls’ mental health, leadership skills, and self-efficacy.
The About-Face Development Manager role is well-suited to someone who is poised to move from an associate/coordinator role into marketing/fundraising strategy work; enjoys creating effective written and visual communication; uses data to inform that communication; thrives as part of a small team; and feels a connection with About-Face’s mission.
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: About-Face’s offices are at Impact Hub San Francisco, in San Francisco’s Mission District. The part-time Development Manager will be in the office with our team at least 2 days per week, and telecommute during remaining work hours. Please only apply if you are based locally.
Required experience and skills
- Must have three (3) or more years’ experience in a paid fundraising or marketing role
- Knowledge necessary to create high-quality graphics, simple videos, and to resize photos/images for electronic use
- Very strong professional writing skills
- Ability to employ our bold, smart tone to inspire our audience to take action and learn more
- Track record of leading and organizing effective campaigns (fundraising, social action, or marketing)
- Extremely organized; great with planning, prioritization, logistics, and details
- Clear, direct communicator
Preferred experience and skills
- Experience working in a nonprofit communications role centering on fundraising
- Experience with Salesforce CRM
- Educational or academic grounding in gender, race, and other equity issues
- Media decoding/media literacy skills
- Assist in coordinating multiple small donor events per year
- Work with our sustainable funding team to plan gatherings and support follow-up
- Prospect for foundation grants and other funders
- Collaborate on appeal emails and letters
- Create and manage fundraising campaigns
- Write grant proposals with supervision of Executive Director
- Build out and manage About-Face’s editorial calendar
- Organize and manage assets like photos, graphics, and reused text
- Produce a monthly video series
- Use our Brand Guidelines in developing content for our website and emails
- Manage and frequently update website content
- Manage Google AdGrants and SEO-related revisions to the website
- Use Salesforce and MailChimp to segment and communicate clearly with subscribers
- Grow our email subscriber list
- Produce monthly and as-needed email campaigns for all segments
- Use of metrics and analytics to inform marketing communications
- Work with our social media consultant to coordinate campaign messaging
About our workplace and management
At About-Face, we are professionals who are truly dedicated and work hard, but we also have fun. Because we are a small staff, the Development Manager role offers significant responsibility while also rejecting overwork as a badge of honor. The Development Manager will receive appropriate feedback and performance reviews to support their success.
Salary and benefits
This is a part-time, 20-hour-per-week employee position. Annual salary will be $44,000-50,000 FTE (full-time equivalent) and is a part-time role. Salary level depends on experience and skills. Benefits are available, including health, vision, and dental insurance, and time off, including vacation and sick time.
About-Face values diversity and strives to maintain a diverse team. People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and those in other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Ideal start date
Wednesday, February 7, 2020
Send a cover letter and résumé to Jennifer Berger, Executive Director, at workwithus[at]about[hyphen]face[dot]org. Please also include:
1) Two to three (2-3) links to previous campaign work and content creation that are publicly available.
2) One (1) previously published writing sample with a web audience in mind: blog, article, essay, etc.
Apply by Monday, January 20, 11:59pm. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.