This is a full-time, paid position based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Deadline to apply: August 13, 2021
Who We Are
About-Face frees girls* from the confines of our toxic culture so they can fulfill their potential. At the organization’s roots are gender equity, activism, awareness-raising, body positivity, and social justice principles. We work with girls ages 13-18 in their schools (and elsewhere) to bolster their critical thinking through questioning the messages in social media and other forms of media. We then transform that knowledge into activism skills and media-making tools they can use for life. About-Face is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in the San Francisco Bay Area and is expanding its local and national presence.
Learn more at www.about-face.org.
* About-Face welcomes and includes gender-expansive youth. To us, “girls” means self-identified girls, trans girls, gender-expansive youth, gender non-conforming, and non-binary youth.
Who You Are
You get excited about the idea of working within a small, impactful nonprofit to boost its capacity and power. You’re a smart, hit-the-ground-running kind of person with a strong desire to learn and grow professionally. You combine that urgency with enviable writing skills and an almost obsessive attention to detail. You know that a nonprofit’s greatest success comes from appealing to both the head and the heart.
A creative writer and storyteller, you are dedicated to telling a compelling story to bring people to the causes you care about. You also enjoy the challenge of writing in a variety of voices or tones for different audiences and communication methods, pulling on heartstrings and conveying impact through story.
On the flip side, you know that data and metrics are also critical. You use data, quantitative insights, and nonprofit fundraising best practices to communicate as effectively as possible, measure your successes, and make future choices.
If you fit this description to a T, we need you at our small and mighty nonprofit! Work with About-Face to engage supporters who want to help bust open the status quo.
As our Development Manager, you will be essential to About-Face’s success in creating a long-term positive impact on teen girls’ mental health, leadership skills, and sense of self-worth. As you develop your career in nonprofit fundraising and outreach, you will find there’s plenty of room for growth at About-Face.
Reports to: Executive Director
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Two to five (2-5) years of experience in a dedicated development, communications, or marketing role
- Organizational skills: planning and prioritizing tasks, working to deadlines, handling logistics, managing files and data
- Inclined toward using tech to streamline tasks (for example, reducing manual data entry)
- Database experience
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Nonprofit experience (communications or fundraising)
- Experience using Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack CRM (Lightning interface)
- Grounding in equity issues around gender, race, and/or LGBTQIA+ communities (trainings, workshops, etc.)
- Media literacy training
- Steward, cultivate, and inspire individual donors via email, phone calls, and other communication methods
- Write, assemble, and send fundraising appeal emails and letters
- Run fundraising campaigns
- Execute small- to medium-sized donor cultivation events (virtual and in-person)
- Engage in community outreach at in-person networking events and public events
- Coordinate communications with our social media consultant
Institutional funder communication and engagement
- Identify institutional funder prospects (foundations, corporations)
- Create pitch decks for presentations
- Develop and lead “volunteer days” for corporate employees
- Write drafts of grant proposals and maintain proposal templates
Data management and reporting
- Manage data for donations and other contributed revenue
- Data movement: Ensure donor contact info and other data is accurately flowing between Salesforce, Donorbox, Zapier, ActiveCampaign, and Wufoo
- Run fundraising reports in Salesforce and other programs
- Gather metrics and analytics to inform fundraising tactics
- Contribute to and follow the About-Face fundraising plan
- Always be learning fundraising best practices from training sessions, workshops, and articles/books
- Update our website to engage potential donors
- Create communications for storytelling about our programs
- Ensure accurate information about the organization on nonprofit-listing websites
- Supervise a development intern
ABOUT OUR WORKPLACE AND MANAGEMENT
Location: San Francisco Bay Area. Please only apply if you are based in the Bay Area. As the pandemic dissipates in our area, we are beginning our transition back to in-person work. Some remote work may also be considered after initial training is complete (example: Monday and Friday remote and 5 hours in-person on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday).
Work Ethic: At About-Face, we are hard-working professionals who are deeply dedicated to our work. Still, we also have fun and take care of ourselves — and reject the idea of “overwork as a badge of honor”. Because we are a small staff, you will have many opportunities for learning and responsibility, while also being supported in the role by our Executive Director, other staff, and outside consultants. You will receive direction on specific, measurable goals, as well as appropriate training and feedback to support your success.
Anti-Racism and Diversity/Equity/Inclusion: About-Face has embarked on a multi-year process of anti-racism work and the ongoing development of diversity, equity, and inclusion policies to encourage true inclusion and teamwork. As one piece of that process, we are changing the standard, sometimes problematic nonprofit board-staff relationship: Our Staff Team will be stakeholders in About-Face. In practice, the Staff Team and Board of Trustees (Board of Directors) will regularly discuss and center our on-the-ground work to most effectively and authentically serve our community. Generally, our Board of Trustees meetings and notes will also be open to the Staff Team.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This role is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week employee position. Annual salary: $56,000-61,000, depending on experience and skills. About-Face offers generous benefits, such as 90% of health insurance premiums paid by the organization, 100% covered vision, dental, and life insurance, and paid time off (PTO).
About-Face values diversity of perspective and strives to maintain its diverse team. People of color and BIPOC, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ persons, and members of other non-dominant communities are encouraged to apply.
Start Date: September 1-September 21, 2021
Send your cover letter and résumé to Jennifer Berger, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply by Friday, August 13. We will review applications as we receive them. (About-Face will be closed August 6-13 for a pandemic-recovery break, returning August 16.)