About-Face is looking for new bloggers to help keep our web site current and fresh! As an About-Face blogger, you will have the opportunity to help women and girls understand and resist harmful media messages, have your writing published, become a better writer, and have a productive outlet for expression. Please note that this is not a paying position, but a volunteer opportunity.
Issues We Cover
* Images of women/girls in media messages: billboards, advertisements, etc.
* Female icons/sex symbols such as Paris Hilton, Barbie, Bratz dolls, etc.
* Female celebrities representing, promoting, or experiencing body image problems
* Women in the media working in media and possibly being discriminated against
Timeline and time commitment
This position will start as soon as possible! We are looking for writers who can turn in a 150-500 word blog entry once or twice a month. All work will be sent through e-mail, and bloggers will often have to submit a second draft after the first one has been edited and returned.
Duties and Tasks
* Finding various media that relate to our mission and learning how to incorporate them into our blog
* Turning in blogs on time and working with editors’ comments in a time-efficient manner
* Interest in how media affects women’s and girls’ body image, self-esteem, identity, self-image
* Responsibility – commitment to turning in assignments on time, communicating clearly with a reasonable manager/editor
* Strong writing and analytical skills
To apply, send these items to Sabrina Sierra, Blog Manager, at email@example.com/~aboutf72:
* A brief e-mail that tells us what would make you a good fit for this role
* A writing sample between 300 and 500 words
You should hear back from us within a week of applying, depending on the volume of submissions we receive. Thanks for your interest!