We are looking for some amazing Board of Directors members, and we’re actively recruiting for vacant spaces on our board.
About-Face, a nonprofit organization based in the San Francisco Bay Area, is recruiting new, engaged Board members. If you are in the Bay Area or elsewhere, and passionate about helping teen girls fight back against their toxic culture.
About-Face’s mission is to free girls from the confines of a toxic culture so they can achieve their full potential. This is more important than ever given today’s political climate of bullying, misogyny, and corporate greed — and more important than during any other point in About-Face’s history. Girls are under attack, and being blocked out of their own sense of power and worth. They need tools to fight back.
To fulfill our mission, we reach teen girls and their adult advocates through:
- Education Into Action workshops and curriculum that teaches teens how to understand, reject, and help change culture that diminishes and disempowers them.
- Online methods, including our website for teens and social media presence.
Join a focused and fun group of women and men who are committed to changing our culture for us all.
You are an enthusiastic, innovative initiator. You are deeply passionate — fired up, even — about resisting the toxic sludge of harmful media messaging that damages girls’ idea of their own potential. You don’t always do things the easy way; instead, you do them in ways that are creative and smart and unconventional.
You love to support causes you care about and to ask your circles for help. You are a badass who gets stuff done and can bring in the right people for assistance when needed.
What is the recruitment process?
The About-Face board recruitment process begins by emailing our board recruitment board member (see info below) and with a phone call or in-person meeting. If there is a mutual interest, you meet with a board member and the Executive Director. We bring on new board members on a rolling basis.
Who is the About-Face board?
We are a focused and fun group of women and men who are committed to changing our culture for us all.
What will be expected of me as an About-Face board member?
- Prepare for, attend (in person or via videoconference), and participate fully in all meetings: every-other-month board meetings, board orientation, monthly committee meetings, and yearly Board Retreat.
- Vote on board decisions and approvals.
- Participate in budget development, approval, and financial oversight. Note that Board Members have legal and fiduciary responsibility for the organization.
- Be an active part of a committee, which will meet once per month and report in to the board before quarterly board meetings.
- Contribute to the organization by giving and/or raising an agreed-upon amount of funding per year, 15% of which is due upon joining.
- Be a strong champion for About-Face through social media, media/news outlets, and personal and professional circles, including inviting local contacts to an Intro to About-Face event.
- Make a one-year commitment to do all of the above.
If you would like to learn more about what Board of Directors membership at a nonprofit entails, check out this excellent article on the National Council of Nonprofits website.
About-Face values diversity of race/ethnicity, age, ability, and gender diversity. Women of color and members of the LGBTQ community are encouraged to apply.
If you believe girls need to be armed with the knowledge and tools they need to fight back against a culture that diminishes and disempowers them, and want to explore being part of an effective, engaged board, please apply.
To start the process, please contact Dan Dworkin, our Board President, at dan[at]about[hyphen]face[dot]org.